Adsense 1

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Cell Phone Selfies Becoming a Hazard !

Plane Crashes, but Not Before Taking a Selfie!

   This guy should get the Darwin award for 2015! That's right the pilot, Amiratpal Singh 29, crashed his small Cessna killing himself and a passenger taking selfies while piloting the plane. 
    Singh's family told 7NEWS the other victim was a musician in town for a concert at Adams City High School. Singh's family said Singh was giving airplane rides to some of the people in town for the concert.

    The National Transportation Safety Board report said the pilot took off just after midnight. He crashed four minutes later. The plane was reported missing at 3:30 a.m. It was found at 7:30 a.m.

   "The airplane impacted the field with the left wing first, bounced one time and came to rest upright," the crash investigation report said. The report says the right wing came off and was found on top of the left wing. One seat came out of the plane. The other stayed inside. Investigators said, "The evidence is consistent with an aerodynamic stall and subsequent spin into terrain."
Radar showed the plane took two flights on the night it crashed. The first lasted six minutes and landed.

        Eight minutes later, the plane took off on a second flight. That flight crashed minutes later, according to the NTSB. Investigator's found the pilots cell phone and a GoPro camera on which he had recordings of several flight's. There was no video of the crash.

     On the recording of the first flight on the night of the crash, investigators said, "During the climb out portion of flight, the pilot uses his cell phone to take a self-photograph. The camera's flash was activated and illuminated the cockpit area."

     Investigators said, "Based on the evidence of cell phone use during low-altitude maneuvering, including the flight immediately before the accident flight, it is likely that cell phone use during the accident flight distracted the pilot and contributed to the development of spatial disorientation and subsequent loss of control."

    The National Transportation Safety Board said the probable cause of the crash was, "The pilot’s loss of control and subsequent aerodynamic stall due to spatial disorientation in night instrument meteorological conditions. Contributing to the accident was the pilot’s distraction due to his cell phone use while maneuvering at low-altitude."